Sean Michael Malatesta
Sean Michael Malatesta is a successful Hollywood, Silicon Valley, content provider and transaction processor business development executive, incoporating worldwide contacts.
Pasadena, CA 91030
- Experienced and versatile business leader in mobile, advertising, video streaming, media, entertainment and technology sectors – focused on mobile, trans-media content, streaming movies, social advertising, payments, and interactive technologies
● Successful Hollywood, Silicon Valley, content provider and transaction processor business development executive with worldwide contacts throughout the industries
● Significant international business development experience with proven cross-functional capability in strategic account management, M&A, sales, marketing, product marketing and product management.
● Maintains good relationships with VCs and investments banks
● Strong relationship, sales and presentation skills; self-starter and customer-centric leader
● Analytical, competitive, and tenacious with a positive do what-it-takes approach.
● Offers uncompromising ethics and integrity
Tech-savvy account management, finance and business development professional with proven 15 year digital track-record building strategic relationships, web-based product management in the digital media field, identifying and executing on new business opportunities to maximizing revenue, and selling in ideas and negotiating deals with top decision makers. Expert knowledge on social medial platforms. Analytical, competitive, and tenacious with a positive proactive approach.
Marengo Knoll, Inc.
Managing Executive 2009 – Present Los Angeles
Marengo is both a consulting group and digital producer, publisher and marketer of content spanning mobile phones and IPTV systems. Marengo develops and distributes games, mobile content and video (VOD & streaming) content across mobile phones and devices.
- Currently actively distributing content in 50 countries
- Operates apps on Roku, Amazon FIRE, iOS, Android, Facebook Apps and Google Play
- Active knowledge on Video advertising, VAST technologies, ad insertion,
Facebook mobile advertising schemes and plans
- Social Utility expert having conducted marketing campaigns across the social
- Manager of Profit/Loss, development/creative teams and product
- Created financial business plans, budgets and product pricing models. Modeled financial, market and business data to increase revenue and reduce costs. Calculated and evaluated variances to improve outcomes.
- Grew business from zero-revenue startup stage to $1 million annual
- Serves as company spokesperson with media, industry analysts and other
parties seeking official interviews or comment
Motopia USA LLC, a unit of Motopia Group Ltd. (Australia), Los Angeles
Managing Director, Business Development (2010-2011)
Motopia is a full service mobile software solutions provider. Spent a quick year building and publishing mobile phone content around the world. Ran and executed marketing campaigns across social media, mobile video advertising, Facebook and keywords.
Indiagames, Ltd. a UTV Enterprise Los Angeles (now owned by Disney)
VP Business Development & Strategy IG FUN LLC (2005-2010)
Lead a worldwide business development/corporate development and video licensing activities for a leading videogames publisher.
- Proven track record of developing and leading deals to close multiple innovative Hollywood & game titles including BioShock, Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior & NBC’s The Office Games titles
- Phone Carrier/Operator Dealings: AT&T, Qwest, Verizon Wireless,
Sprint-Nextel, Cingular, T-Mobile USA, US Cellular, Alltel, Amp’d, Boost,
Helio, VIVO, Hutch 3, Vodafone, Qualcomm, Claro, TIM, Movistar.
- Business dealings with New Line Cinema, Sony Pictures, NBC Universal, 20th Century Fox, Disney, Warner Brothers, EA, THQ, Activision, Playboy
Enterprises, Microsoft, Adobe, Cisco, Nokia, Samsung, LG, Sony-BMG, Universal Music.
Led and mentored sales and account management team in the identification and acquisition of new clients, development of strategic partnerships, and maximized revenue generation from product portfolio.
Managed and executed the Profit/Loss for the Americas & EMEA; exceeded goals & reported activities at an international board level. Oversaw Americas’ production studio consisting of developers and mobile sales & marketing staff and built out B2C storefront and managed all B2B relationships.
Assembled business relationships with mobile phone carriers, handset manufacturers, middleware software makers, and mobile aggregators. Identified new business opportunities by opening up new channels of distribution and driving licensing agreements.
Negotiated and constructed content licensing, including outbound video licensing, transactional, subscription, and device pre-load deals with almost all motion picture studios, talent agencies, videogame companies, record companies and television companies. Performed portfolio gap analysis and feasibility/business cases.
Developed the publishing business line. Interfaced with UTV and Tom Online/Hutchison Whampoa corporate development teams on merger & acquisition pursuit.
Provided oversight of Merger and Acquisitions and third party investments.
Analyzed markets, identified growth and decline patterns, and forecasted trends in digital and technological markets.
Mobile365, Inc. (formerly Mobileway); now Sybase365San Mateo & Los Angeles
Director, Business Dev/Affairs (2003-2005)
Mobile365 is the leader in managing and monetizing mobile transactions across the globe. With direct connections to over 110+ mobile carriers, Mobile365 is unique in its unrivalled reach to 90% of the world’s mobile users. This global reach enables Mobile365 to guarantee partners and customers cost ef ective, secure deployment of mobile applications to both professional and personal mobile users.
- Formed and managed significant partnerships with major media, content,
agencies and telecom companies within Mobile365’s standard and strategic deal economic structure
- Began, assembled, negotiated, closed, launched and account managed the
Google SMS service (http://www.google.com/sms/)
- Built and managed a successful sales team
- Conceptualized and identified new business leads
- Drafted and negotiated partnership contracts
- Daily contact with VP North America and outside counsel to fit deal structure with correct business model framework
- Performed portfolio and feasibility analysis
- Identified, developed, delivered, prioritized, and managed content, technology, and distribution partnerships
DigiGuide Ltd. London
Director, Business Dev/Affairs (2002 – 2003)
DigiGuide is a media company producing leading applications including advanced TV guides (EPGs) for multi- platforms (including broadband and interactive TV). DigiGuide of ers television and radio guides for Broadband, WAP Phones, Web Sites and Mobile HandHelds (through AvantGo). DigiGuide produces 4 distinct products: DigiGuide for Windows, MyDigiGuide.com (web site version), MyDigiGuide mini-EPG is the EPG for Broadband Digital Television Services and wap.myDigiGuide
- Formed significant partnerships with digital Television and Internet companies including, DirecTV, DISH, Freeserve, Telewest, NTL, Tribune Media Services, iVillage and PDV.
- Drafted and negotiated partnership contracts
- Built and managed a successful sales team
- Built a profitable interactive business with over 50,000 paying subscribers in
- Researched and reviewed legal implications, patents concerning Digital TV
EPGs for incorporating custom feature-sets.
- Product development included the conceptualization, research and development of an “auto-record” triggering mechanism between DigiGuide and Tivo PVRs allowing recording of television programmes at home by choosing which programmes to record over the Internet.
- Outsourced development deals and relations
- Launched subscription based DigiGuide product in USA October 2002.
SolidStreaming, Inc. London
Vice President, Content & Business Dev/Affairs (2001-2002)
Developed and implemented wireless audio/video streaming applications and sales strategy for a wireless software company that optimized the delivery of streaming video and audio to mobile devices operating on current 2G networks as well as on future 2.5G and 3G networks.
- Developed the first wireless IP-based streaming music “radio receiver” for
- Oversaw all sales team matters including management, organization, prospecting, negotiating, and drafting sales agreements for distribution, software licensing, intellectual property with Hutchison 3G, SFR Cegetel, Vodafone, T-Motion/T-Mobile and content providers including BBC, ITN, Umbro.com
- Managed deal lifespan and implementation to production.
- Working directly with CEO, conceptualized company’s corporate development
philosophy and its capital raising initiative raising over $3.5 million in venture
Yack Media Services, Inc. NYC, California and London
VP, Business Dev/Affairs & Co-Founder (1997 – 2001)
Yack Media Services was a multi-platform media publisher of Interactive Program Guides (IPGs). Yahoo! Internet Life magazine named Yack the “Best Guide to Live Events” two consecutive years (2000 & 2001). Yack was voted by Forbes Magazine as one of the leading 33 favorite web services (2001)
- Established and led the Business Development department.
- Developed business plan and strategy to pioneer the development of Broadband PC and interactive TV solutions for chat, cybercasts and community building.
- Exceeded set targets and deadlines: Negotiated, implemented licensed distribution and syndication of IPG products with companies including:
Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Liberate, ICTV, Real Networks, Microsoft & Microsoft TV, ACTV, GemPlus, TV Guide-Gemstar, AT&T Broadband, British Telecom, Axel Springer Verlag, Verlagsgruppe Milchstrasse, Lagerdere, Hubert Burda Media, Flextech-Telewest, Alta Vista, Road Runner, Time Warner Cable, Comcast, UPC/chello Broadband NV, WorldGate Communications, Tiscali, Line One, Tribune Media Services, Talk City, SunTV CyberNetworks and Freeserve, Excite @ Home, FreeServe, DoubleClick, LookSmart, InfoSpace, WorldOnline, and Singapore ONE.
- Established relationships and contacts with Senior level contacts at Middle-Ware providers including NDS Corp.; large international network of contacts in the interactive TV and PC industry
- Managed and trained a diverse team of 30 individuals comprising the Business Development and Sales workgroup. Supervised staff of 45 employees within Yack Media Services
- Sourced investors and negotiated over $35 million in venture financing. Member of Board of Directors and gave monthly development presentations to the Board.
William Morris Agency, Inc. New York
Agent trainee – Talent, Motion Picture and Television (1995 – 1997)
The William Morris Agency is the world’s oldest and largest talent and literary agency serving the Entertainment & Media industry.
Worked alongside Senior Agents in its Talent, Motion Picture and Television departments. Worked alongside agents advising actors, writers and directors. Advised production companies on the production of TV projects and motion picture packaging. Other client work included interaction with rights holders, major broadcast and media corporations and motion picture studios, developed a unique understanding of the media industry and its evolvement.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 1988-1992
Double B.A. Economics & Classical Archaeology
Harvard Business Review on Mergers & Acquisitions
Six Sigma, Management Strategy, by Mikel Harry, Phd., and Richard Schroeder
Harvard Business Review on Corporate Strategy
The Intelligent Investor, by Benjamin Graham, with Jason Zweig
LEADERSHIP/PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS/ NATIONAL ACCOLADES
- The Oneonta Club, President
- Board of Advisors, American Heart Association
- Ernst & Young Innovation & New Media Award Finalist (2000)
- New York New Media Association
- University of Michigan Entertainment Coalition
- Big Ten Club of Southern California
Golf, movies, skiing, history, investments, music, travel & digital media